Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Fifty

Today I am fifty years old. 50!!!!! Half of 100. I'm amused by how it sounds. It doesn't seem to fit me yet.
When I started the 100 day project I had no idea that it would be ending on my birthday. I never looked ahead. I just started with day 1 and showed up. Everyday. I never had a stock pile of birds and essays ready to go. Most days I would think of something while I was walking the dog or driving in the car. I noticed that I needed to be outdoors to be inspired. I liked that I called no re-dos or edits. I wouldn't have kept going if I tried to make this anything more than a quick sketch and a couple of words. It was definitely, without a doubt, the most vulnerable thing I have ever done. Who do I think I am to call myself and artist or a writer?
Hitting the publish button got easier as I got nice comments from people. I went from having a couple of people reading my blog to 200 a day. I got faster at sketching and started doodling birds with bikinis. I never once felt like the project was a chore. I love that I did this.
It's ending tomorrow and I am fifty years old. My daughter is leaving for college next month. These two things are right on the edge of freaking me out but i'm going to continue to show up everyday and figure out what this next part of my life is all about. It's exciting. And scary. But mostly exciting. For both of us. This kid is going to do great things. She's my most beautiful birdy.

6 comments:

  1. Awwww Tina!!!! You are both an artist and writer as well as an all around beautiful person. I love the way you express your thoughts...
    Happy HAPPY Birthday my friend! Many happy returns!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happy Happy Birthday wishes to you too!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this project. You are talented. Own it! Shine your light, lady. And happy birthday. I'm loving my 50's. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you have given her the strongest wings to fly! 100 days went fast and I will be looking forward to your next project. Fifty years goes fast, but you wear it well. I hope we have more occasions to laugh and talk about how hard and easy it is to have children in another state! Fly high!

    ReplyDelete