Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Marshmallow Escalators

Standing here in the middle of your driveway, I'm outside of my comfort zone. I feel like I am prey to that nasty crow who always makes me feel like I did him wrong and he is waiting to catch me and scratch my eyes out. But I'm willing to feel uncomfortable so that I can be closer to you and amuse you by twitching my head from side to side. I know how that makes you giggle.
Remember the reoccurring nightmares you used to have when Lily was little? Like the one where you left her on top of the car in her car seat and drove down the highway? Or being separated in a department store with escalators that where made of marshmallows and you would sink into them and never be able to go fast enough to search for her? The horror of it all would jolt you awake only to find her warm little body next to yours. If she was lost, no one would every know that the only way she falls asleep is if she put her pointer finger in your mouth. Or that no amount of baby whispering tricks would get her to sleep in her own bed. The not knowing, I imagine that is every parents nightmare.
So, maybe step out of your comfort zone and scream a little bit about the horrible situation that is happening with migrant children. I know, screaming is not your thing. But do something. You laying there on the lounge chair staring at an empty bird feeder is doing no one any good. Especially me.
Those kids must be so scared to not be at home.
They must be so scared to not be with someone who loves them before they fall asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment